The Public Accountants Council for the Province of Ontario (the Council) was continued under 2004’s Public Accounting Act and is dedicated to ensuring that public accounting in Ontario is practiced in accordance with internationally respected accounting standards that reflect the public interest in the delivery of superior quality public accounting services.
Client: The Public Accountants Council for the Province of Ontario
The Burning Platform
Technology is a large part of what helps the Council oversee the regulation of public accounting in the public interest. This means that internal computer systems must be efficient, have little downtime and have appropriate security features. As well, the Council’s reputation is founded on public trust and any security issues would be seen as a negative.
The Business Case
The audit committee for the Council wanted assurances that the appropriate security software, policies and practices were in place to meet the needs of its internal computer systems. The Council agreed to get outside expertise to assess their security and recommend tactics for moving forward. This step was welcomed on many levels, especially since a security review had not been done on the latest system installations.
Triella delivered exceptional value through:
- An in-depth technology assessment and gap analysis of the Council’s current security systems compared to where they needed to be.
- A detailed report, which provided 26 recommendations and offered unbiased choices, alternatives, strategies, and tactics for implementing the report’s recommendations.
- Increasing the security of the Council’s wired and wireless network.
- A robust structure for documenting the network.
- An Internet and Computer use policy.
- Working supportively with the Council’s outsourced support team to effect the changes to the firm’s server.