There are a lot of fears about a recession in 2020. But it has not happened yet. Most firms have done really well in 2019 and this is the time to invest some of those earnings into security and productivity applications that will make your firm more productive and better able to weather a recession – if and when it comes.
One area that provides meaningful changes and is fairly easy to implement is document management. There are three leading products for this and they include Open Text, iManage and Worldox. We choose Worldox because it does not require a SQL server, is most cost effective to implement and requires very little support post installation. And unlike the other document management systems, a mass conversion is not required up front – leading to greater adoption by the end users of the system and less cost for implementation.
- Better version control. No longer do they end up working on the wrong version of a document because the document was worked on by someone else and versioned to a completely different file.
- Searching for Precedents. It is much easier to find and reuse word product since the full text of all documents can easily be searched, sorted, viewed and selected all from a single interface.
- Consistent Saving. As part of the implementation process, a taxonomy for saving is created for the firm. We meet with each department to better understand their needs and how they save documents. From that, a taxonomy is created that is specific to that practice area. So the whole firm can share documents but each department can also have its own way of saving documents.
- Paperless Office. By using a scanner or copier, documents can be scanned directly into Worldox. With everything scanned and OCRed (making images searchable text) it means that all documents – even incoming mail – can be made available to everyone electronically.
- Staff Turnover. When staff leave it is to transition the files to another person since everyone saves documents in the same way.
The implementation of Worldox can take 6-8 weeks to complete for a firm. We include a 3-hour training class with each trainee having a laptop computer that they use to do real work with Worldox during the training. When the trainee leaves training, they are ready to work right away. At the same time, if they are in a rush they can easily access documents in the old way while keeping productivity high – even during the roll out.
Are you interested in making your firm more productive with document management and taking advantage of the ability to leverage your documents? Please contact us at 647.426.1004 for a free demonstration of how Worldox can help your firm prepare for a recession!
Charles Bennett is the Principal Consultant at Triella. We are a technology consulting company specializing in providing technology audits, planning advice, project management and other CIO-related services to small and medium-sized firms. Charles can be reached at 647.426.1004. For additional articles, go to our blog page. Triella is a VMware Professional Partner, Microsoft Certified Partner, Citrix Solution Advisor – Silver, Dell Preferred Partner, Authorized Worldox Reseller and a Webroot Reseller.
© 2020 by Triella Corp. All rights reserved. Reproduction with credit is permitted.