Thunderbolt™ 3 connectivity is coming to all computers, Laptops, Tablets, Smartphones and more in the near future.
What is Thunderbolt™ 3? A single cable supplies power and provides four times the data and twice the video bandwidth of any other cable.
The USB-C That Does It All
Thunderbolt™ 3 brings Thunderbolt™ to USB-C at speeds up to 40 Gbps, creating one compact port that does it all –delivering the fastest, most versatile connection to any dock, display, or data device. For the first time, one computer port connects to Thunderbolt™ devices, every display, and billions of USB devices. It’s unrivaled for new uses, such as 4K video, single-cable docks with charging, external graphics, and built-in 10 GbE networking. Simply put, Thunderbolt™ 3 delivers the best USB-C.
- Thunderbolt™, USB, DisplayPort, and power on USB-C
- USB-C connector and cables (small, reversible)
- 40 Gbps Thunderbolt™ 3 – double the speed of Thunderbolt™ 2
- Bi-directional, dual-protocol (PCI Express and DisplayPort)
- 4 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3
- 8 lanes of DisplayPort 1.2 (HBR2 and MST) – supports two 4K displays (4096 x 2160 30bpp @ 60 Hz)
- USB 3.1 (10 Gbps) – compatible with existing USB devices and cables
- DisplayPort 1.2 – compatible with existing DisplayPort displays, devices, and cables
- Connect DVI, HDMI, and VGA displays via adapters • Power (based on USB power delivery)
- Up to 100W system charging
- 15W to bus-powered devices
- Thunderbolt™ Networking
- 10Gb Ethernet connection between computers
- Daisy chaining (up to six devices)
- Lowest latency for PCI Express audio Solutions and products built to Thunderbolt™ and Thunderbolt™ 2 specifications will work with Thunderbolt™ 3 via an adapter.
Provides a peer-to-peer connection at 10 GbE speeds to quickly transfer files between computers, perform PC migrations, or set up small workgroups with shared storage.
Full 4K Video Experience
Connect displays with astonishing resolution, contrast, and color depth to see your photos, videos, applications, and text with amazing detail.
Gamers can now connect plug ‘n’ play external graphics to a notebook to enjoy the latest games at recommended or higher settings.
Best Single-Cable Docking
Now, one compact port provides Thunderbolt™ 3 data transfer, support for two 4K 60 Hz displays, and quick notebook charging with a single cable. It’s the most advanced and versatile USB-C docking solution available.
Thunderbolt™ 3 is going to be a game-changer in technology evolution for computing devices and how we access and transfer data on them. The future looks bright, Thunderbolt™ Bright!
Paul Comtois is a Client Support Specialist at Triella, a technology consulting company specializing in providing technology audits, planning advice, project management and other CIO-related services to small and medium sized firms. Paul can be reached at 647.426.1004. For additional articles, go to www.triella.com/publications. Triella is a VMware Professional Partner, Microsoft Certified Partner, Citrix Solution Advisor – Silver, Dell Preferred Partner, Authorized Worldox Reseller and a Kaspersky Reseller.
© 2015 by Triella Corp. All rights reserved. Reproduction with credit is permitted.