Protect your data. Protect your business. Enhance your backup before it is too late.
We have discussed CryptoLocker style viruses in the past. These ransom viruses infect networks and then encrypt all the data they find, holding it hostage. The only way to get the files back is to pay a fine in untraceable and anonymous Bitcoin currency – unless you are able to recovery your data from backup.
CrytoLocker was taken down, but out of the ashes have arisen a myriad of other Cryto-style viruses. Why? Because there is serious money to be made. Current ransom amounts range from $300USD to $2,000USD. And the ransom must be paid in Bitcoins. But this problem can be solved if everyone participates. If you don’t pay, there is no incentive to develop more sophisticated programs. They key to proofing your systems again crypto-attacks lies in backups.
There is a theory about that says if you eliminate drive letters within the network, it is possible to thwart the CrytoLocker style viruses. Maybe so, but it is a small matter to program the system to identify all of the network shares that are in use and you can bet that hackers will soon work around these defense. Eliminating drive letter mapping is simply not a viable long term strategy for protecting your data.
The best protection from Crypto-style viruses is a good recovery system, like Triella’s Business Continuity Backup system called Becon Backup™. Here is how the system protects you from Crypto-style viruses:
- The data is stored on media that is not accessible from the servers being backed up. That isolation is necessary to ensure that the virus cannot find the storage to corrupt it.
- The data is stored off site and on site. Thus, there are two sources from which to recover the data, the fast on-site backup, literally recoverable in seconds, and the Cloud based backup which would take longer.
- Frequent backups also help. Backing up as frequently as hourly means that you can dial back granularly from the point of infection, minimizing your loss of data.
- Backups are server images, not file copies, so it is not possible for an infected server to infect other backups.
- A server can be recovered in an isolated environment in less than 5 minutes. Once recovered it can be checked for infection, and then used to replace the infected server. Fast recovery means less exposure to the impact of Crypto-style viruses.
Do you want to be a part of the solution? Call us about Becon Backup™ – insurance for your data. 647.426.1004 x 222